Board Meeting Minutes

Subscribe to our Newsletter
August 29, 2019

Silver League Board Minutes – Tuesday July 23, 2019

Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch,  Sam Galluch, Mike Crawford,  Jeff Brenneman, Dave Vanderneut,  John Welsh, Larry Chimento, Dick Kapper

Absent: Dennis Mathieu

Quorum Present: Yes

Others Present: Larry Diebel, Larry Ashbaugh, John Robles, Tony Ninni Paul Rebillot                       

Minutes from June 18 (previously emailed to board members) Board meeting were approved unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report

   $40,604.00 currently in the SL checking account.

    All received invoices have been paid.

Elite Sporting Goods has been contacted and will print championship shirts when order is completed for all divisions, and bill Silver League.

Final bill for Patterson Park usage has not yet been requested yet.

Treasurer’s Report was approved unanimously by the board.

Umpires

 Tom K. advised that all umpire evaluation cards have not been received from all managers. Division reps are asked to get them and turn them back to Tom.

Umps and managers are reminded to sign cards for completed games, and show "time for that game".

Tom has found it necessary to "recruit" some players from the league rto fill in as umpires, particularly for makeup AM and late PM games.

Schedules and Fields

  All divisions are setting up makeup as best can be done. There may be some use of Patterson Park by divisions other than Blue and Gold.

  Barberton Parks (and the Mayor) have been contacted to find out if the Foundation Fields will be available fo SL again.

  The Board is continuing to check out other venues in case Barberton cannot provide the fields and services SL need. Detailed information has, or will be received from Kent State, and Canton. Akron, Cuyahoga Falls, Stow, Green, and Kent city cannot make available the Silver League's field needs.

  Still some confusions as to "rainout" cancellation for PM if AM has been cancelled by Barberton. If they cancel, it will be by 4:00 PM, After that it will be SL's personnel's responsibility.

Team Pictures and Directories

  A second proposal for 2019 team pictures from John Hendrickson (previous photographer used) was accepted.  SL was able to lower the cost by having teams know when John would be at the fields for pictures. (If you are there, you are in. No photo-shopping). John H. is to handle all sales.

Division Reps will need managers to put names of players on the backs of the pictures and get them to Chuck L. so they can be in the directory.

Banquet and Golf Outing

Banquet is scheduled for September 29, 2019.  “Donations” for gifts to be used for the raffle would be appreciated. Directories and plaques - Sponsor, HOF, and Spirit are being worked on.

Golf Outing is September 14, 2019 at Paradise Lake.  $60.00 per person.  Registration forms for both will be put on the web site. Additional forms will be made available during games for those unable to print from web site.

Hall Of Fame

  Five nominations, with the possibility of a sixth per Jeff B.  Deadline for nominations is August 1.

Player Ratings

  Reps need to be preparing to have ratings done on their players so they can be given to the Reps prior to the end of the season.

"Issues" involving Divisions

  Situation in Silver has been taken care of with no need for Formal Board involvement. (May be a need for even more clarification as to subs and roster players in Silver League Rules for 2020).

  Blue and Gold Divisions will be playing scheduled games from July 17 rain outs on Friday, July 26, at Patterson Park. There was some conflict with a senior tournament out of town that date, but both Reps decided to play the games as a priority over the tournament.

 

Next Silver League Board meeting to be announced

DLV 8/20/19

July 23, 2019

Silver League Board Minutes – Tuesday June 18, 2019

 

Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch,  Sam Galluch, Mike Crawford,  Jeff Brenneman, Dave Vanderneut,  John Welsh, Dennis Mathieu

Absent: Dick Kapper, Larry Chimento

Quorum Present: Yes                       No Others Present

 

Minutes from May 23 (previously emailed to board members) Board meeting were approved unanimously.

 

Treasurer’s Report

   $32,483.00 currently in the SL checking account.

    All received invoices have been paid.

      Treasurer’s Report was approved unanimously by the board.

 

Umpires

 Tom K. will still be scheduling a meeting with the umpires as possible.  Board members will be invited to attend once the date has been established.  This would allow for discussion between umpires and board members on issues that have come up.

  There is a need for additional umpires particularly for PM games. If anyone finds anyone qualified to umpire SL games, they should have them contact Tom K.  (Umps must pay to join the SL.  Pay is $30.00 per games)

  Tom K is going to give umpire evaluation forms to reps to give to their managers, for return to him.

 

Schedules and Fields

  Blue rain out makeups from June 5 to be made up at Patterson Park on June 28 will start from the points the games stopped due to rain – per SL Rules.

  Gold rainout from that same date will not be made up as the Gold Division will have started their second half, and that game has no effect on first half standings. (This will also save field costs at Patterson Park)

  All divisions are setting up makeup as best can be done.  There may be some use of Patterson Park by divisions other than Blue and Gold

 Barberton Pks & Rec will contacted to find out when the Foundation Fields will be available for SL again.

  The Board is continuing to check out other venues in case Barberton cannot provide the fields and services SL need. Additional information will be received from Kent State, Cities of Akron, and Canton. Dave V gave an update on what came out of the first meeting with KSU. They are to get back with a cost after July 1. Lisa McClean of Barberton Pks & Beautification Dept. is to meet with the mayor of Barberton towards the end of June.  SL and the Foundation Fields for 2020 is to be discussed.  Randy B

is going to try to arrange a meeting with just SL people and the Mayor to discuss issues.

 

Team Pictures and Directories

  A proposal for 2019 team pictures from John Hendrickson (previous photographer used) was given out by Randy B.  It is felt that the amount is higher than need be.  Randy B. will try to set up an easier system for John to take the pictures, and discuss  the costs.

Managers will need to put names of players on the backs of the pictures so they can be in the directory. (Additional pictures will be needed for each team sponsor’s plaque. Division sponsors will not have pictures on theirs.)

 

Banquet

Scheduled for September 29, 2019.  “Donations” for gifts to be used for the raffle would be appreciated.

 

Golf Outing

  September 14, 2019 at Paradise Lake.  $55.00 – 60.00 per person.  Additional info to be distributed by Tom K.

 

Hall Of Fame

  Only two nominations to date per Jeff B.  Deadline for nominations is August 1.

 

Player Ratings

  Reps need to be preparing to have their managers do ratings on their players so they can be given to the Reps prior to the end of the season.

 

Championship Shirts

   Rather than getting two styles - two different prices – for regular season and playoff champs, SL will be purchasing only one style – the better one for all champs.  Shirts will be red for 2019 after being gray the past two seasons, (Passed unanimously by the board)

 

Gene Stanik

  Former SL president (2010) and a SL player until 2014 passed away this past week at the age of 85.

 

Next Meeting: To be announced

May 23, 2019

Silver League Board Minutes – Thursday, May 23, 2019

Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Dick Kapper,  Sam Galluch, Mike Crawford,  Jeff Brenneman, Dave Vanderneut., 

Absent: John Welsh, Dennis Mathieu

Quorum Present: Yes

Others Present:   Larry Deibel, Larry Ashbaugh

 

Minutes from April 18 (previously emailed to board members) Board meeting were approved unanimously.

 

Treasurer’s Report

   $35,042.00 currently in the SL checking account.

    All received invoices have been paid.

    There are a couple of money-owed situations in Red and White Division that the Reps will follow up to find out the status of certain players, and their uniforms, and registration fees.

   Treasurer’s Report was approved unanimously by the board.

 

Umpires/Rules

 Tom K. will be scheduling a meeting with as many umpires as possible,  in June.  Board member are invited to attend once the date has been established.  This would allow for discussion between umpires and board members on related issues for 2019.

  Managers were asked to make sure the game “ending time” is on the scorecard when they sign. Umpires will be reminded of the importance of this.

  The importance of the timeliness, and the procedure for protests, were brought up.  The “official” score book – kept by the home team is significant. (There are “home”

teams that do not keep anything on their visitor opponents.)

  Board members should be familiar with the SL Rules, and encourage managers, etc. to do the same.  The most current rules are on the Web Site. (In all things there should be conformity from all board members.)

  Uniform rules should be enforced by the team manager first, and then by the umpire if not done by the manager.  A player “out of uniform” per Silver League Rules – 2019, Page 1, should not play until he is appropriately dressed.

  Players signed up for specific days only – Monday or Wednesday – can only play in makeup games for games made up (lost) if they are eligible to play on the day the game being made up was originally scheduled to be played.

The Board voted unanimously to add a rule clarifying how far a batter can carry his bat after hitting and turning into a base runner. The clarified rule will be posted on the Web Site by Roger Mears.

  An additional clarification as to the “Blue – grass” rule was also updated.

 

 

Directory (for banquet)

Randy will be sending a copy of John Hendrickson’s photo proposal – deemed somewhat high at this time – to all board members to review. Russ Vitale of the Blue Division has expressed some interest as to doing the photos.  It will be discussed with him.

 

Start of Season

No major setbacks.  (Took off and still airborne.)

  AM Divisions have already utilized Patterson Park (once) for makeups. Silver Division is using the “vacant” fields for double headers to make games up.

   PM Rep expressed some concern about leaving the strike mats out when locking up. Here has been no problem in the past, but Dave V. will check on getting some “backups” just in case.

 

Fields –

  A committee from the board is to meet with Kent State University to discuss – not negotiate – the possible use of Allerton Fields next year.

  Lisa McClean of Barberton P & R is to meet with the Mayor of Barberton to discuss the future of the Foundation Fields, and the Silver League.

  Chuck L. is waiting for a call back from someone about complexes in the Canton area.

  Barberton is being contacted about turning the lights on earlier, extending the 30’ line, and a “plan” when AM plays and PM is rained out.

 

New Business/ Open Discussion

 A request was made by a Blue Division team requesting a “during the season” trade. (“Trades” have been allowed – if approved by all managers - immediately after the respective drafts.)  This was based on them not having a “decent pitcher” on their team.

The team in question has had as many as 17 walks in two of their first five games.  This was hurting the enjoyment of playing for them, and their opponents.

   The “trade issue” was voted down with two “yes” votes.  Those votes were based on the enjoyment level of all involved, and the competition issue.

   The “no” votes were based on 1) The danger of setting such a precedent, after players had been evaluated and drafted, and 2) The team does have a person that can pitch – though that does weaken them at another defensive position.

 

 

Next Meeting: To be announced

 

May 28, 2019

             Silver League Board Minutes – Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Board Members Present:  Chuck Lancaster, Randy Ballard, Dave Vanderneut, Gary Beckman, Mike Crawford, Larry Chimento, Tom Koch, and John Welsh

 

Absent: Dick Kapper, Jeff Sloan, and Jeff Brenneman

 

Others Present:  Jim Ruby, Paul Rebillot

March 22, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes previously emailed out approved unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report –   Tom K. discussed players that have paid up since the last meeting, and those that still owe.  Only one in the White Division still owes a significant amount.  Mike C., White Div. rep. will follow up with him.  His uniform could be held unless he pays.  With no 2018 uniform, he would not be able to play.

  A couple of sponsors still have not paid.  They are also vendors and may be making adjustments on their bills to SL.

  Several players have been reimbursed for over payment.  John Scourfield will be reimbursed $75.00 as he will not be able to physically participate.

   The Board voted unanimously to eliminate reimbursing players for their fees when they get a new sponsor. (There is been some inconsistency with doing that over the years.)

 

2019 Registration – the current Board members will discuss 2019 registration procedures after this season has started.  There have been several problems that need to be addressed including forms, dates, cost, etc.

 

Uniforms/Scorebooks - Dave V. gave out the last of the scorebooks to Div. reps tonight.

   Uniforms should be picked up by Dave V starting this weekend.  Div. Reps. (or their co-conspirators) will be contacted for delivery.  They will then get them to the managers in their Divisions.

  Players would did not pay the $3.00 for their name on their jerseys, will not be getting the same.

 

Barberton Foundation Fields-     Barberton is willing to let SL teams use fields 1, 2, and 4 next Monday and Wednesday nights from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM.   There would be a $30.00 charge each night. This ties in with the suggestion that regular season games be substituted with “practice” games on this year’s schedule.

The Board voted unanimously to table such changes for consideration for next year.  (Barberton P & R will be advised)

 Barberton P & R has made an offer for adding clay blocks in the batters’ boxes on the fields used by SL.  The current offer would have SL paying 100% of the cost.  It could still be done for this season.

The Board voted unanimously to review this next year, with a possible more acceptable cost distribution. (Barberton P & R will be advised)

    “Tower HR Balls” – Dave V will check with Barberton P & R for a system to “retrieve” balls hit into the tower area on Field #2.

  Dugouts and Fields – Barberton has a strict policy as to who is allowed on the fields and in the dugouts.  No one not a member of the SL is allowed in the dugouts or on the fields.  If such a person is there, the umpire will allow five (5) minutes for them to move to the spectators’ area.  If they do not move, the team they are associated with, will forfeit the game.  There will be no such grace period between doubleheader games. (The SL part of this action is not super ceded by “past allowed action.)

This was passed unanimously by the Board.

 

AED/CPR Training –     Jim Ruby will be in touch with Jim Hogan, to set up such training for either May 1, 2 or 3 at (possibly) the Montrose ACME. All Umpires will be trained. Any managers or Board members may attend if they wish. (Accreditation is good for two years)

    The AED/First Aid equipment will be hung on the outside backstop of Fields #2 and #4 when the SL is playing.  It will be one of the responsibilities of those putting out and putting away SL equipment in the SL storage shed.

 

Rule/Umpires for 2018 – Rules are on the Web Site, and can be printed by anyone.  Chuck L will make copies of the 2018 Rules (Larger print) for Jim Ruby’s umpires.

The 2018 umpires; meeting is April 29.

There has been, and is a problem, with getting umpires to work Red and White Division games due to “attitude” from players.  Both John W., and Mike C. will discuss this with their managers

 

Silver Division Sub Rule – Paul Rebillot, of the Silver Div., attended the meeting to point out a conflict/problem with the “two sub” rule for that Division. Due to the number of players involved with “traveling” teams outside the Division, there is a good chance that two (2) may not be adequate for the team to play. 

Tom K. and Chuck L. suggested the following exception for the Silver Division ONLY.

     A Silver Division team will be allowed three (3) game subs if they are down to eight (8) players due to travel team players being absent. The “3 rule” is not good if one of the missing players is gone for other reasons, other than injuries.  The normal request time to the sub coordinator are still valid.

    Passed 6-1 (Dave V voted “no”, as he did not feel that any special rules should be set up due to travel team participation, not directly related to SL.  And that I could set a precedent.)

Paul also requested that a printed set of rules for the new “pitching screen” experiment being used in the Silver Division. He was advised that it has, or will be explained to all umpires and managers. Copies will be considered.

 

 Game Set Up and Put Away/Shed Equipment-   Opening Division and closing Division Reps are to coordinate taking needed equipment from the shed and returning it.  Jim Ruby, and available board members will assist when possible.  

   Keys for the SL storage shed will be given to Jim Ruby, Dick Kapper, Jeff Sloan, and Dave Vanderneut for the AM games. For the PM Jim Ruby, Randy Ballard, Larry Chimento, John Welsh, and Mike Crawford will have keys.  Each of the PM Division Reps will pick two others from their Divisions to have keys, and to assist the setting up and putting away of the game needed “stuff”.  Reps will advise their managers of who is responsible for setting up, or putting away for their games.

 

Balls –   All divisions use the same ball.

  Reps should make arrangements with Chuck Lancaster to get game balls for their division.  They can get all, or part, of those needed at this time.  They a responsible for giving the game balls to the game ump.  Or can leave them at each field. Reps are to pick up the remaining balls after the games.

 There will be one (1) box of back up balls in the shed for emergencies.

 Rep can decide how, and where, is best to “store” balls between games.

 

Scores –   Managers will turn scores into their Reps, who will then advise Roger Mears.  Roger will then post them on the SL Web Site.

 

 

NEXT Board Meetings – Thursday, May 24, 2018, and Thursday, June 21, 2018, at 6:30 PM, at ACME in Green.

April 20, 2019

Silver League Board Minutes – Thursday, March 28, 2019

 

Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Dick Kapper, Dennis Mathieu, Sam Galluch, Larry Chimento, Jeff Brenneman, Dave Vanderneut.,  h.

Absent: Mike Crawford, John Welsh

Quorum Present: Yes

 

Others Present:   Roger Mears

 

Minutes from March 5 Board meeting were approved unanimously.

 

Treasurer’s Report

   $41,942.00 currently in the SL checking account.

   A few “exceptions” are still outstanding from sponsors or players.  They are not late, but due to arrangements with the sponsors, or late uniform orders from players.

$25,000.00 is being transferred from the SL checking account to a CD now that the “rainy day” fund is back up to an acceptable level. 

  Treasurer’s Report, and the movement of the $25,000.00, were approved unanimously by the board.

 

Umpires – 2019

   Tom K, as Head Umpire, suggested that SL raise the “per game” pay for umpires from $25.00 per to $30.00 per. This would be based on the involvement this year with the umpires assisting in putting out. and putting away equipment.  Umpires that do not assist will not get the extra $5.00.

 (Umpires will be furnished TWO GAME balls for each game from the Reps or managers.)

   Approved unanimously by the Board

 

Registration – 2019 (Repeated from March 5 Meeting)

   The last of the late registrations are known, and supposedly in route, with payment.  Final break down will have four (4) Red teams, Six (6) White teams, five (5) Silver teams, Six (6) Gold teams, and six (6) Blue teams.  Field #1 will not be used.  Red will used 2 & 4, White 2, 3 & 4, Silver 2 & 4, and Gold and Blue 2, 3 & 4.  SL will start Monday May 6, with expectations to be done by Wednesday, August 28.

  All divisions will play the same days and times as 2018.

  All Divisions will have regular season and tournament champions – weather willing.       

 

Division Drafts, schedules, etc.

    All Division Reps are to advise Roger Mears of their division rosters and schedules as soon as available so they can be put on the web site.  Roger will post the schedules from the Reps on the site under “Forms” and “Handouts”.

       Dave V. is to be advised of all rosters for uniform orders that will be turned in April 5.

 

Fields (Reminder)

  No non-paid club member (SL is a club) is allowed in the dugout or inside the fence, for liability and insurance reasons. (Any player or umpire paid in ANY division is a club member.)

  Meetings are still scheduled with Paterson Park and Barberton staff to work out possible details for AM makeups – and with some thought to possible changes for next year.

 

Exceptions

  No votes were taken on any needed exceptions for players at this time, for 2019.

 

 

 

Next Board Meeting – Thursday, April 18, ACME Wallhaven, 1875 W. Market St, 6:00 PM.

 

DLV

March 5, 2019

             Silver League Board Minutes – Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford, Sam Galluch, Larry Chimento, Jeff Brenneman, Dave Vanderneut,  and John Welsh.

Absent: Dick Kapper, Dennis Mathieu

Quorum Present: Yes

Others Present:   Larry Deibel

 

Registration - 2019

   The last of the late registrations are known, and supposedly in route, with payment.  Final break down will have four (4) Red teams, Six (6) White teams, five (5) Silver teams, Six (6) Gold teams, and six (6) Blue teams.  Field #1 will not be used.  Red will used 2 & 4, White 2, 3 & 4, Silver 2 & 4, and Gold and Blue 2, 3 & 4.  SL will start Monday May 6, with expectations to be done by Wednesday, August 28.

  All divisions will play the same days and times as 2018.

  All Divisions will have regular season and tournament champions – weather willing.       

 

Division Drafts, schedules, etc.

    All Division Reps are to schedule a pre-draft meeting for all their managers. Randy B and Tom K., Head Umpire, should be advised of said meetings prior to their happening. Player ratings will be given out, and discussed for any needed revisions.  Those ratings will then be used at the follow up draft meeting. The first meeting will also serve to “educate” managers, so they can “educate” their players as to 2019 rules, umpiring, subs, field changes, uniforms, etc.

 After the draft, Reps must notify Dave V as soon as possible of who is on what team for the ordering of uniforms. (Names for jerseys will be ordered this week based on final registration info available)

  Only managers and non-playing managers are allowed “at the table”.  Once a player is drafted he can assist his manager with the draft.  Reps should get a draft – even without exact team names to Randy as soon as possible

  Chuck L. is to talk to Roger Mears, web master, to see if there is a way to get more continuity between the schedules made up by the Reps, and those on the site.

 

Fields

  No non-paid club member (SL is a club) is allowed in the dugout or inside the fence, for liability and insurance reasons. (Any player or umpire paid in ANY division is a club member.)

 Due to the staff cuts in Barberton there may be some issues arise such as grass cutting, restrooms, etc. Anyone with any kind of field related issues should contact their Rep, Dave V. (AM), Chuck L (PM), or Randy B.

 Each Division Rep. will set up a system for putting out, and putting away equipment – screens, mats, game score cards, AEDs/First Aid kits, etc. It will be necessary to have Reps, managers, and players to assist in this. Keys to the SL storage shed will be needed

  Board members are still attempting to find some place for AM make up games to be played on the Friday of the next week. If no such place meets SL standards, or is not available, that will not be an option.

 

One & One Rule for Red Division

   For 2019, all batters in Red will come to the plate with a 1 & 1 count on them. After they reach two strikes, a foul ball is an out.  But if after two strikes they hit a fair ball into the pitcher’s screen, they are not out. A second ball into the screen – after two strikes - is an out. This rule is hoped to speed up Red games, and will be used a test for all Divisions in 2020. (Passed unanimously by the Board.)

  

2018 Suspension

  A Gold Division player was suspended for four (4) games after being ejected from a game in mid-July.  He did not play the rest of 2018.  That time missed is considered by the Board as the suspension time. He is eligible to play from opening day in 2019.

 

Treasure’s Report

  There are still some players that owe registration money.  Some of it is due to “late” registration for returning players. Players are not eligible for the draft if they owe money.

  There are still several sponsors that have committed to sponsor teams, but have not paid yet.

 

Next Board Meeting –

 To be announced if needed in March.

 

3/7/19 DLV

February 13, 2019

Board Members Present: Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford, Sam Gullach, Larry Chimento, Dick Kapper, Dave Vanderneut, Jeff Brenneman, Dennis Mathieu, and Johm Welsh (Arrived Late)

Quorum Present: Yes (100%)     Others Present: Roger Mears

Minutes - 1/14/19 minutes approved unanimously. Minutes will be posted on the Web Site, along with information on next meeting by Roger M.

Treasurer's Report - 

     Tom K. advised that the current checking account balance is $47,568.66. Sponsor payments have not been posted as of now. Report accepted unanimously.

     Moving approximately $25,000.00, known as the "Rainey Day' fund, to some sort of account that gives some interest, but is still available for any newed (mostly "field" related) was discussed. Motion by Tom K, 2nd by Dave V. Passed unanimously to have the treasurer make such a move.

Registration - 2019

     Tom K. updated the Board on the current members. Sunday's General Membership meeting should bring in several registrations. Deadline - with some postmark, etc., "wiggle room" is February 20. Division Reps need to follow up with the players that are not returning from 2018 to get them to register, or find out why they are not returning.

     There may have to be a special Board meeting once the final numbers are in to see if, and how, adjustments need to be made. If players that have registered are affected by changes tey will need to be contacted to see if they  would still want to participate, or need reimbursement.

     There are numerous registrants that have left significant information off their registration forms. Various Board members will attempt to get that information to Tom K.

(The order for jersey names, sponsor assignments by division, and the scorebook order cannot be done until player, and division numbers are finalized)

Rules

     The Exempted Hitter (EH) as used in the fall league was discussed by the full Board, as a follow up to the Rules Committee prior discussions. This rule was only in consideration for the Blue Division, and possibly with some additional modification in the Gold Division. The Board unanimously voted NOT to add, or revise any rules related to this.

     Randy B. is going to rewrite the rule covering"Gross Misconduct" (13.C.) to allow the Board more flexibility when handling such actions.

     A concern over current rules for the breakdown of divisions by specific ages had been expressed to the Board. Age discrimination seemed to be a concern. Board discussion lead to the conclusion that since we offer "some" division to all ages of members of the Silver League, the league is acting appropriately.

Pitching Screens

     There has been conversation about, and inspections of, new screen for 2019. It was decided to continue to use the ones used in the past. Any repairs or orders will have to be decided after additional examination of the four in the SL storage building.

Banquet

     After discussing the options available at this time, it was unanimously decided to use Guy's Party Centre for the 2019 banquet.

Player "execeptions"

     There were several exceptions brought to the Board involving situations involving ages, work schedules, etc., that the Board needed to decide upon. All situations were voted on unanimously for the final decisions. The players in question will be advised of the Board's decisions.

Paid Subs for 2019

     Paid subs only have to pay for their primary division. But they will be allowed to be a sub in any age appropriate division, based on their primary division. They are expected to sub in that division as often as possible to be considered to sub in other divisions. Paid subs will be considered the first source of a sub call. But skill levels("too good", "too bad"), position needs may cause ("pitcher"), and ability to be contacted ("not home") may influence who the final assigned sub is. 2019 paid subs will get a SL hat, and will be allowed to wear any approved SL jersey.

2019 Draft

     There are a couple of players with game suspensions from last year that will carry over to 2019, no matter what division they play in.

     Division Reps will be responsible for getting ratings for new players, or players that have moved to a new division.

     There were lengthy discussions by the Board about certain draft procedures that "evolved" in some divisions that go against the basic concept of a new, not preset-draft each year. The areas of concern involved player-managers, player-sponsors, players and managers "connected" to certain sponsors, and playing assistant managers/coaches (Not non-playing assistants).

NO player, other than the player-manager can be "frozen, or pre-assigned, to ANY team prior to the draft.

Sponsors can be assigned to managers. A player-sponsor will have to be drafted as part of the normal draft. Prior to the draft a "gentleman's agreement" may allow other managers to NOT draft that sponsor-player. But they should still be drafted in an appropriate round based on their rating. (a three inning catcher cannot be a 2nd round pick).

"Bloodlines" are also covered by the "playing-sponsors" guidelines. In addition to a possible "gentleman's agreement", manager may make trades at the end of the draft.

Uniforms

     To expedite the jersey order, all names on jerseys will be done in white lettering. This will allow the name order to be placed as soon as final registration is complete, and before the actual drafts. This will eliminate some colors for jerseys - white, light yellow, etc. - but will not affect the colors of the numbers or logos on the front.

Fields

     Dave V spoke with Barberton P&R. They believe that tere will be cutbacks in their departments soon. They have advised that it should not affect our leagues. (Some concern about field maintenance if staff cutbacks are severe by SL). Another reason to have players sign up for the "rain out" app available on the SL web site.

     Division Reps will work out the details of setting up screens, 1st aid equipment, etc. prior to games. And then putting them back in the SL building after games.

Players requesting to speak. No requests received.

Next Board Meeting - if needed a "emergency" meeting will be scheduled after final registration numbers are in.

Normal Board meetings in March, and April will be on Wednesdays

 

 

 

February 16, 2019

 Silver League Board Minutes – Monday January 14, 2019

 Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford, Sam Galluch, Larry Chimento, Dick Kapper, Dave Vanderneut, Jeff Brenneman, Dennis Mathieu (Arrived Late), and John Welsh (Had to Leave Early)

 

Quorum Present: Yes 

 

Others Present:   Roger Mears, Charlie Shook of Houston Hall

 

 Minutes –

 Minutes of 12/20/18 approved unanimously.  There were some “details” found after the last meeting added to the minutes. 12/20/18 will be posted on Web Site, along with information on next meeting by Roger M. 

 

Houston Hall

  Charlie Shook of Houston Hall, Norton, discussed the possibility of having the SL annual dinner at his place. (Tentative date, Sunday, September 22). He gave out price lists, and discussed seating, and capacity.  Chuck L. will be checking with our previous location so some comparisons can be made.  To be discussed at a later meeting.

 

Treasurer’s Report -

    Tom K. advised that the current checking account balance is $36,400.00, with about $1,000.00 of registration fees to be deposed tomorrow. Report accepted unanimously. 

 

Registration - 2019

   Tom K. has already received 24 Blue, 18 Gold, 13 Silver, 11 White, and 4 Red registrations to date. (And one (1) “paid sub”)

   Roger M. will be posting registered players for 2019 on the web site as he gets them from Tom K.  They will be under “teams” as “2019 Registered Players”.  Reps – or anyone else - can check to see who, and how many players have signed up for 2019 as of that date.

  Roger will also be sending another email out with a message from Randy B. to all players reminding them to register, and about the February 17 General Membership Meeting.

  No emails, or U.S. mail, info sent out to 2018, or new interested, players, have been “returned to sender” in any form

   Players with reasons for being an “exception” to registration guidelines currently in print, will have to approved by the Board 

 

 Rules -2019

  Tom K. chaired the Rules Committee made up of Tom and eleven (11) member players from 2018, from various divisions.  Any rule changes submitted by December 1, 2018 were reviewed and discussed by the committee.

  Tom presented the results of those discussions for any necessary Board approval.    Only one change had to be voted on.  The Board voted unanimously – against – changing the “DH Rule” to be for seven (7) innings rather than the current five (5).  It will remain at five (5).

  There were a few “clarifications” made – 5. D. add “See 11 E.”, 7. J. delete reference to any specific ball, and 10. M. delete “in the dugout”, add “can be hung on the OUTSIDE of the field fences.”

  (See “screen” and “Time of Games” sections for additional information.) 

 

Screens (Fields)

    Additional discussion about new screens (similar to ones at Pinnacle) to replace the old screens.  The weight of the new screens was a concern.  Larry C. will check on a lighter prototype. The Board Reps has not established who will set up the screens, and put them away. Depending on how many teams are in each division, only scheduling on those fields closest to the equipment shed is a possibility.

  Randy B. plans to set up a time when board members can see the Pinnacle screens.  Later discussion to be done on the screens.

   Silver Division will go back to locating the screen in the same position as the other four divisions. 

 

Time of Games

   Randy B. did some checking to verify how many games did not go a full seven innings due to time limits.  Some info was not available to him, but it appeared that something needs to be done to get a full seven innings in per game. Board members, Reps, and umpires will be sources for gathering info during 2019 to see what adjustments may be needed for 2020. (No 2019 changes in time limits as currently stated in SL Rules) 

 

2019 Divisions

  Division Reps are finalizing the ratings for 2018 players for the 2019 drafts. Based on the ratings they have, they will put together a group of “knowledgeable” members of their division to adjust the ratings as needed..

   Division Reps were reminded that they should have “pre-draft” meeting with their managers – after registration is closed - to review who is going to be in the draft, along with positions and skill levels, etc.. (That would also be a good opportunity for Tom K, and Dave V to review rules, uniforms, equipment, and fields with the managers.)

  Drafts should be done by the end of March so the uniform order can be turned in April 1.

 

Players requesting to speak:  No requests received

 

Next Board Meeting –

Wednesday, February 13, 2018, 6:00 PM, ACME, Manchester Road 

Board meetings in February, March, and April will be on Wednesdays

General Membership Meeting will be Sunday, February 17, 1:00 PM. ACME, Manchester Road.  Players to be advised.

January 15, 2019

 Silver League Board Minutes – Thursday, December 20, 2018

 

 Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford, Sam Galluch, Larry Chimento, Dick Kapper,, Dave Vanderneut, Jeff Brenneman, Dennis Mathieu (Had to leave early), and John Welsh (Arrived late)

 

 Quorum Present: Yes

 

Others Present:   Roger Mears, Greg Gonzalez, John Scourfield

 

 Minutes –

 

 Minutes of 11/15/18 approved unanimously.  Will be posted on Web Site, along with information on next meeting  by Roger M

 

 Treasurer’s Report -

 

    Tom K. advised that the final numbers for the 2018 season had about plus $3,000.00 for the season, without touching the ‘rainy day” (projects) fund. Accepted unanimously.

 

 Registration

 

   Tom has already received some 2019 registrations.  But he will not be posting any of the 2019 funds until after the 1st of the New Year.

 

   There was some confusion as to who the registration checks should be made out to.  Roger has posted “Silver League Softball” on the web site as info.

 

  Also some confusion as to “Name” or “No Name” as some players thought there was a cost factor. (That is being paid by a benefactor for the 2019 season). Roger will make another posting on the Web Site.

 

   Roger has sent an email out to all players, and potential players, with email about registration information. (Form is on the site). He will resend it again by the end of the year. All others were mailed forms and a cover letter from Randy B. by U.S. Mail.  If Board members come up with other that want such info they can get on the email list by advising Roger.  Or on the U.S. Mail list by advising Dave V.

 

 Rules

 

  Tom K. will chair the Rules Committee.  Any changes or additions should have been to Board members by December 1. They should be given to Tom for discussion by the Committee.  Rule changes or addition that are approved by the committee, then go to the Board for final approval. Sam G., Dave V., and Larry C. volunteered to be on the committee.  Any one – not just Board members – can contact Tom to be on the committee.  Tom will “recruit” if needed.

 

 Non-Committee Assignments 

 

 

Sam G., with the assistance of Jeff B., will be responsible for the 2019 season Directory.  Any input, additional assistance, vendor knowledge would be welcome.

 

   Chuck L. is going to be working with Tom Shaffstall to become the sponsor coordinator.

 

Equipment -   AEDs/First Aid

 

   Dave V. advised that it appears that some of the managers were not aware of the presence of first Aid supplies in the same back pack with the AEDs.  On the other hand, two board members were advised that there were minimal supplies.  Dave’s end of the season inventory showed only chemical ice packs used/missing from either pack.

 

    - Screens

 

    The current screen used by SL is 76” high, 38” wide, weighs 20#, and cost $299.00, plus shipping and tax.  The lightness, that makes them easy to breakdown, and move, also is the cause of yearly parts replacements and repairs. Larry C has done some research and SL can replace the four (Five - if Thee Buckeye Tournament is involved) with a stronger model, made locally, for $290.00 per. That one would be 72” high, 36” wide, and weight more. (Replacement nets from the original manufactured are $42.00, plus shipping and tax each.)

 

  This will be the first year where the Reps and Mgrs in ALL Divisions will be responsible for coordinating the placement and return of the screens. (Strike mats and scoring plates may also be involved.)

 

  The suggested new screen is currently being used at Pinnacle at 9:30 AM on Tuesday and Thursday by SL members. (Off until Jan 3).  Anyone with any interest might want to go there and look at them. (Thee Buckeye Tournament [Red Bole] may be interested in buying the old screens if they are replaced.  No discussion if for sure, how many, and price)

 

  There will be additional discussion at the next Board meeting.

 

 Silver Division Appeal

 

  Randy B. received an appeal from one of the two Silver Division players suspended for the first four (4) games of 2019 by Board action of August 16, 2018. Lengthy discussion was done by the Board members based on the Appeal Letter, current SL rules covering the situation (13. GENERAL RULES, C. Gross Misconduct), the umpire’s handling of the situation, and the action and reaction of what happened.

 

  By verbal roll call vote, the Board unanimously decided to let the suspension stand as given on August 16 at four (4) games for each player

 

2019 Divisions

 

 All five Division Reps are working to get their ratings for 2018 players finalized.  If they do not get enough ratings back from those they requested them from, they can put together a group of “knowledgeable” members of their division to do the ratings as a group.  Even if they do get a sufficient number of ratings back, they can still set up such a group to “fine tune” the ratings.

 

  Since there will be no “blind draws” or “hat picks” in any division, it will be the reps responsibility to get a rating for any players new to the league, or their divisions.

 

  Tom K will periodically send a listing of all players signed up to board members to use as a tool organizing their league.

 

   It was suggested that Division Reps to have a “pre-draft” meeting with their managers to review who is going to be in the draft. That would also be a good opportunity for Tom K, and Dave V to review rules, uniforms, equipment, and fields with the managers.

 

  Depending on the number of teams, divisions have to decide what they are going to do as far as one long season, first and second halves (even number of games each half is not mandatory), play offs, etc.

 

  It is strongly suggested that whenever possible Board members not be managers.  No matter how honest they may be, there might be the impression of “insider info”.

 

  Question of “bat salesman” showing up was brought p.  That should be shown to the Board before any Division sale pitch is given, (If approved, the possible practices the week before the season at Barberton might a place for the”pitch”.)

 

Players requesting to speak:  No requests received

 

Next Board Meeting –

 

Thursday, January 17, 2018, 6:00 PM, ACME, GREEN

 

  Board meetings in February, March, and April will be on Wednesdays

 

** January’s meeting changed to Monday, Jan. 14, 6:00 PM. ACME, Manchester Rd.

 

General Membership Meeting will be Sunday, February 17, 1:00 PM. ACME, Manchester Road.  Email will be sent to all players.

December 21, 2018

Silver League Board Minutes – Thursday, November 15, 2018

Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard (via telecom), Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford, Sam Galluch, Larry Chimento, John Welsh, Dave Vanderneut. (PM At Large Rep is not filled at this time) 

Absent: Dick Kapper                Quorum Present: Yes

Others Present:   Roger Mears, Jeff Brenneman, Larry Deibel, and Paul Rebillot.

Jeff Brenneman was nominated to become the PM At Large Rep per By-Laws (Section 7, a., 1.)  Passed unanimously

Jeff was then nominated to be Vice President per By-Laws (Section 3, b.) Passed unanimously.

Dennis Mathieu was nominated to fill the PM At Large Rep position for the remainder of the term (thru September 2019). Approved unanimously.

Minutes –

Minutes of 10/12/18 approved unanimously

Roger Mears, Web Master, has been asked to put something – noticeable – on the web site stating when and where the next Board meeting will be. Randy B will give his final approval of the layout, and wording.

Treasurer’s Report -

Tom K. advised that all 2018 season bills have been paid, and current checking account balance is $29,988.00.  Final bank statement and checking book balance exactly.

40 dozen balls have been ordered and delivered for the 2019 season. (In Randy B.’s basement)

Audit was conducted under the leadership of Larry Deibel for the 2018 season.  No errors or discrepancies were found. (Copy of Larry’s letter attached to minutes.)  Audit and report unanimously accepted by Board

Player(s) Requesting to Speak-

Paul Rebilott presented a request with 30 plus signatures from Silver Division players asking that the “test” of the pitching screen used in 2018 for the Silver Division be dropped for 2019, and not become a “rule”. (There is no rule for the Silver Division, or any other division about moving the screen “per rules” at this time.) 

He also had some other rule changes for 2019 for consideration.

This will need to be reviewed and considered by the 2019 Rules Committee when it is set up.  Dave V will keep copies of Paul’s info and make sure the committee has them when they meet.

** Reminder:  Rules “suggestions” need to be to a board member by December 1, for Rules Committee consideration**

Registration Form (2019) –

   Sam G. has been working on actually creating the form based on ideas presented to him by Board members. Additional changes were made tonight and are shown in Sam’s latest draft.  Significant areas discussed were “paid subs”, “Deadline Date” (Feb. 20), General membership meeting (Feb.17??), Optional names on shirts, Elimination of “overlap” in Red, White and Silver Divisions, Divisions possibly being set up – in age order – as 43-52, 53-60, 61+, 60-74, 71+, same cost, and shorts on form..

Banquet and Golf Outing –

Tabled.

Open Discussion –

    Fields – Dave V., Chuck L., and Tom K. met with Barberton staff to discuss 2019.  (Notes from that meeting are attached.)  There will need to be some additional negotiations, and work, prior to the final plans.  But they seem willing to work with SL.

(The dates in the notes should help the Divisions reps to have some ideas as to their schedules – depending on how many teams they have.)

    Uniforms -   Additional information from Dave V as to hats, names on shirts, front lettering, cost, etc. discussed.  No immediate decisions needed

    Re: Names on shirts – Board does realize that acceptance of anonymous benefactor paying for names does not guarantee that names will be permanently a “freebie”. (Even though the board has now been advised that more money may be donated if the “name cost” exceeds $1,000.00)

Next Board Meeting –

Thursday, December 20, 2018, 6:00 PM, ACME, Manchester Road

October 12, 2018

Silver League Board Minutes – Thursday, October 12, 2018

 

Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford,  Sam Galluch, Dick Kapper,  (PM At Large and AM At Large {Jack Yoak has resigned as AM Rep} are vacant at this time) 

Absent: Larry Chimento, John Welsh

Quorum Present: Yes

Others Present:  Red Bole, John Eustice, Roger Mears, Dave Vanderneut, and Joe Troyer

 

Randy B. nominated Dave Vanderneut to fill the AM At Large Rep position for the remainder of the term (thru September 2019). Approved unanimously.

Dave V. was nominated by Randy B. to be SL Secretary for this season. Approved unanimously (Dave V abstained)

 

September 13,, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes previously emailed to current Board members was formally approved unanimously.

Board Minutes, as of this date, will be emailed out to Board members for review, and corrections.  The minutes will not be distributed to past presidents, or posted on the web site until they have been formally approved at the following meeting.  The web site will post the time, date, and location of the next Board Meeting as soon as known.

 

Treasurer’s Report

    2018 Budget reviewed and approved unanimously.  Copy to go on to Web Site.

    2019 Budget approved unanimously with the knowledge that there may be need for some adjustments.

   It is possible that some uniform related cost could go up due to recent tariffs.

  Tom K will make an adjustment for the number of game balls to present at the next meeting.  The Board unanimously approved the use of one “synthetic” ball for ALL divisions. Randy B will check on another possible vendor for a better price. (Reference to specific softballs – manufacturer, code number, etc. will be eliminated from the rules. This will eliminate any need for a rules changes any time games balls are changed.)

   An additional donation of $1,000.00 ($500.00 already accepted) will be added to income. (See detail under “Uniforms”)

 

Web Site

 Roger Mears, SL Web Master was present to discuss possible changes/improvements with those present. 

         Actual schedules done by Division Reps need to coincide with what shows on the web site.  Dates with no games, cancelled games, round robins, and make games were some problems that need to be fixed.

          Cancellation alerts may be set up by Divisions rather than AM and PM.

          Roger had problems posting current scores – and standings – when reps did not advise him of game results.  He posts them the same day he receives them.

         Certain forms may need to have their font sizes enlarged.

         Web Site payment will be due in April, 2019.

 

Old Business

 Umpire-in-chief - Tom Koch was unanimously chosen by the Board (Tom abstained).  There will be no change in the rate paid to the umpire-in-chief.  But some of the duties done by the previous umpire-in-chief will be done by Division Reps and/or managers.  This basically is the putting out and putting away of equipment.  (This was initially discussed mid 2017 season, when the SL shed was completed.)

 

Vice President – Still no candidates that wish to serve.  There is some confusion on the wording of the By Laws on this subject. Dave V will send Roger a grammatical correction for the web site.

 

Registration for 2019

 Tabled until next meeting.  Board members are to review the 2018 registration form and advise Randy B and Dave V, by email, of what changes, additions, and/or eliminations – if any - need to be incorporated in the new registration form.  Some items mentioned:  Age overlaps, spouse names and phone numbers, subs, paid subs, playing dates (make ups?), shorts (color/s), names on shirts, registration deadline, number choice, on line registration, etc.

 

Black Shorts

 Numerous negative feedbacks about going to “black shorts/pants only” for 2019 season lead to the rescinding of the “mandatory” wearing of black shorts/pants as approved by the Board at the 9/13/18.

Motion by Chuck L; 2nd: Sam G.  Passed unanimously.

Any other detail referencing shorts/pants will be decided at the next meeting as it will be needed on the Registration Form.

 

New Business

   Uniforms –

     An anonymous Silver League member has donated $1,000.00 to have last names     returned to the back of jerseys.

   Dave V pointed out some information that might help the Board with accepting the donation and implementing it.  With the same number of jerseys as last year, at    the same cost for names, the cost would be slightly over $1,000.00. (Approximately 45 names)  It was suggested that having your name on the shirt be an option on the registration form, allowing for some cost drop (In 2018 173 of 445 shirts had names – with a $2.50 vendor fee)

Adding names could slow down the order delivery as the vendor cannot do jerseys until after the division drafts.  Having one color for all names would speed   up the order, but would conflict with some sponsors’ color preference.  If registration deadlines were adhered to, it would increase the timeliness of the order. Those dates will be on the new registration form.

Hat and Shirt “design” will be discussed at the next meeting.

 

Rules Committee –

    Suggested rules changes must be turned into any board member by any Silver League member by December 1, 2018.  The board member will then forward it to the Rules Committee

    Randy B. asked any volunteers for the Rules Committee top advise him.

 

Open Discussion –

   “Dugout Assignments” are up to each Division Rep to decide - if needed - and put on his division’s schedule prior to the start of the season.

 

Next Meeting:  6:00 PM, Thursday, November 15, 2018, ACME # 15, 3979 Medina Rd (Rt. 18), Akron Ohio

September 13, 2018

Silver League Board Minutes – Thursday, September 13, 2018

Board Members Present:  Chuck Lancaster, Dave Vanderneut, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford, Randy Ballard, Gary Beckman, Larry Chimento, and John Welsh. (PM At Large seat is vacant at this time)

Absent: Jeff Sloan, Dick Kapper

Others Present:  Jim Ruby, Jack Yoak, and Sam Galluch

August 16, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes previously emailed out approved unanimously.

Banquet Items- Sunday, September 23, 2018, Guy’s Party Centre

    Only 90 people signed up to date, despite handouts to all teams, info on web sites, and mass emails. (Low attendance will raise the cost of the dinner per person to be paid by the league)

    Spirit Awards and HOF plaques have been made to be given out at the banquet.  Division Reps will give out Spirit Awards.  Nominators will give out HOF awards. Spirit Award winners and HOF nominees have their dinners, plus one, paid for by the league.

     Each attendee will receive one free “raffle” ticket.  That will be used for drawings for prizes, gift certificates, free 2019 registrations, etc.  Different raffle tickets can be purchased for the 50/50 raffle.

     Each attendee will received one free alcohol ticket for one such drink.  Other drinks may be purchased. Soft drinks are free.

     Any gift certificates that anyone can get for raffle prices would be appreciated.

     Jeff Sloan is the head of the banquet committee. 

Old Business – New Head Umpire and Vice President

     No action taken as no nominees, or volunteers, have come forth.

Uniforms-

     On July 17, 2018 the board had unanimously (5 Board members present) to allow players to have the option of wearing black OR gray shorts/ pants for the 2019 season.  Players could order either – if needed – off the registration form by paying for them.       

This was rescinded as follows:

     Motion by John Welsh.  Second by Larry Chimento. Passed 6-1 (Dave V voted “no” as he did not feel there was a better plan to be offered, and that a transition year was appropriate) Chuck L. as president did not vote.

     Discussion about making black shorts or pants MANDATORY for the 2019 season.  SL’s vendor has said that such pants/shorts would cost $20.00 a pair if at least 200 pair were ordered.  (There would be the same extra charge for bigger sizes as 2018)

     Reasons for making the change to black included:  Getting more difficult to get “gray”; gray shirts look “terrible” with gray pants; if changed, should be a “just do it” all at once thing; and league has the funds to pay for part of the new shorts/pants.

     Negatives brought up were “heat factor” of black; elimination of some dark jerseys; and number of players with several “gray” in their possession already.

     Motion for mandatory black shorts /pants for the 2019 season was made by John Welsh.  Second by Larry Chimento.  Passed 7-0 Chuck L. as president did not vote.

     Exact details of the breakdown as to how much each player will automatically pay for the new shorts/pants, and how much the league will pay will be decided at a later date.

     All championship shirts for all divisions’ regular season and playoffs have been ordered for distribution at the Banquet.

Red Division Season.

     Due to rainouts and an extended season, Red Division still has three games to play on one night as their post season playoffs.  Originally Red Division was to have a regular season champ only.  They did have a regular season champ (after 24 games), but decided to have playoffs also, including the regular season champs among their four teams.  Originally, the regular season champs were to get the champs’ shirts from the league.  When the playoffs were set up, the shirts were then to go to that winner.

     The playoffs were rained out last week, and have been set up for this coming Monday. Wednesday has been set up as a rain out makeup date.  If both dates are rained out, they will not be made up, and the shirts will go to the regular season champs.

Rules/By Laws/Procedure “Situations” (All three are on the Web Site)

     A specific situation where a Division Rep allowed an ineligible player to participate in a division playoff championship was brought up after several phone calls were received. There were no formal protests. But general membership members were aware of what had happened.  The rep should have known better.

     That led to the discussion of reported problems with reps, managers, and umpires not knowing rules, or interpreting them as they please.  This has been an ongoing problem on a yearly basis.  It often gives the impression that the board is not controlling what should be basic knowledge by those in authority positions.  Or that certain people are being allowed to disregard set rules, etc.

     No definite solution was decided upon.  But it will be addressed in a more active manner next season.

Barberton Fields-

     Dead bolt on the SL shed has still not been fixed.  Barberton is to meet with Dave V tomorrow to fix it.  (It was fixed then)

     Dave V discussed his conversation today with Barberton staff about the ongoing problems with PM lights being turned on, and off, in a timely manner.  They are working on a remote system that would allow for control of the lights from some place other than the concession stand.  They were looking at a $1,300.00 cost (raised to $1,700.00 on Friday.)  This was presented to the board as a possibility with SL making a percentage donation. (This info was given to Barberton on Friday) 

     Barberton is to get back to SL when they know more details. The “clay in the batters’ boxes will also be something to discuss in the off season with them.)

     Dave V has started to remove some items from the SL shed for off season repairs. Earlier this year, Dave V had mentioned to all reps about the box of 12 emergency backup balls in the shed.  And when they used them that they needed to replace them.  (The EMPTY box was removed Friday)

     “Make Up” games at the Barberton Fields have been discussed for 2019.  Nothing definate to date.  But Barberton staff has advised that Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday AM are available for games – with appropriate notice, and charge.  But there are no PM openings

Next Board Meeting: NOTE TIME CHANGE

Thursday, October  11, 6:00 PM, Acme, Green

 

 

August 16, 2018

Silver League Board Minutes – Thursday, August 16, 2018

 

Board Members Present: Chuck Lancaster, Dave Vanderneut, Tom Koch, Dick Kapper, Mike Crawford, Jeff Sloan

Absent: Randy Ballard, Gary Beckman, Larry Chimento, and John Welsh. (PM At Large seat is vacant at this time)

Others Present:  Jim Ruby, Larry Deibel, and Sam Galluch

 

July 17, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes previously emailed out approved unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report- Current checking account balance is at $51,000.00. Expenditures due to come from that amount are the final umpire payment, Barberton field payment, and the cost of the banquet. That should be about $25,000.00.

 

Banquet Items- Sunday, September 23, 2018, Guy’s Party Centre

   Team pictures with players’ names, final standings (both halves), and regular season and playoff winning teams needed to be furnished to Chuck L. so he can get that info into the 2018 directory.

    Chuck is to put together an info sheet with banquet details – cost, freebies, time, alcohol tickets, etc. – to be distributed to all player by the web site, email, or U.S. Mail.  (Additional info as to the annual golf outing also needs to be distributed.)

     Any gift certificates that anyone can get for raffle prices would be appreciated. (Some free registrations for 2019 will be given away again.)

     Jeff Sloan was appointed head of the banquet committee.  He will be working with Mike Logan, and any other volunteers.

     Reps are to advise Dave V. as soon as they know who the “Spirit Award” winners are in each of their divisions.  Those awards will be given out at the banquet.

 

Gross Misconduct (SL Rules, 13. C.)

   Two situation were brought to the Board’s attention that involved “gross misconduct”.

White Division - An umpire exhibited behavior towards a player that was considered inappropriate.  That umpire will not be assigned to do any more games the rest of this year per Jim Ruby.

Silver Division – Two players were inappropriately physical with each other.  Rather than punish their teams for the playoffs (no subs allowed), the Board decided unanimously that each of the players will be suspended for the first four games of next season.  Chuck l will advise Larry Chimento, Silver Div.

 

2018-2019 Season Board Elections

         Red Div. – John Welsh unopposed for a two year term beginning October, 2018. (John had previously been appointed by the Board as the rep for the 2018 season.)

         White Div. – Mike Crawford still has one more year to serve.

         Silver Div. – Larry Chimento still has one more year to serve.

       Gold Div. – Sam Galluch unopposed for a two year term          beginning October, 2018

         Blue Div. – Dick Kapper has one more year to serve.

      AM At Large Rep - Jack Yoak unopposed for a two year term beginning October, 2018

         PM At Large Rep – No candidates at this time.

         Vice President – No confirmed eligible candidates at this time.

 

Championship Awards

   The same two quality gray tee shirts, with the same logo will be given out to regular season, and playoff champs, as were given in 2018. Two sets will be given out in all divisions, except Red.  As previously discussed prior to the season, and at the July 17 meeting, with only four teams, only one championship set will be given.

Both the style and distribution were approved/confirmed unanimously by the Board.

Reps have been advised to advise Dave V. of the winning team ASAP.

Shirts will be given to managers at the banquet.

 

Divisions –

  Baring rainouts all divisions have their championships, playoffs, and final days scheduled.  Barberton P & R will be advised by Dave V of these dates.

 

Discussed – no votes

          Making up games in all divisions in the 2019 season.

         Jerseys, and related printing, for 2019.

         Cost per player for 2019 season.

         Team pictures for the directory, web site, and individuals.

         Different balls for different divisions – with related cost to

players.

         Registration dates.

 

Next SL Board Meeting: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 6:30 PM, Manchester Rd., ACME

(As usual, anyone that wishes to discuss any SL related items can be put on the agenda by President Chuck Lancaster.)

 

 

July 17, 2018

Silver League Board Minutes – Tuesday, July 17, 2018

 

Board Members Present:  Chuck Lancaster, Dave Vanderneut, Tom Koch, Dick Kapper, Larry Chimento

Absent: Randy Ballard, Gary Beckman, Mike Crawford, Jeff Sloan, and John Welsh. (PM At Large seat is vacant at this time)

Others Present:  Jim Ruby

 

Five of nine board members present represented a quorum.

 

June 16, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes previously emailed out approved unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report- Current checking account balance is at $53,000.00 plus.  It appears that only expenditures (banquets, etc.) normally taken from ‘rainy day” fund will be needed for the 2018 season. All 2018 bills, reimbursements, and contributions to date have been paid.

 

Player Ejection in Gold Division –

A Gold division player was ejected by an umpire on July 11.  That ejection meant he was not eligible to play in his team’s next game (July 18) for “Misconduct”.  Additional action on his part after the ejection were considered “Gross Misconduct”.  He will have to sit out four (4) total games starting July 18.  The Gold Division Rep, his Manager, and the umpire involved were to be advised.  And the player in turn.

 

2018-2019 (Season) Board Openings and Elections

     The following Board positon need to have persons to fill the spots, for two year terms-

          Red Div. (Current Rep was an appointment by Board)

          Gold Div.

          PM At Large rep

          AM At Large Rep

          Vice President (For one year.  Candidates by Board Committee.

     Still no candidates to date.

      There was some initial discussion of possible changes in Board positions. This would be something that would need a By-Law change.  It will be discussed again at a later meeting

 

Golf Outing (9/15), HOF Nominees (8/1, Form on Web Site)),  Annual Banquet (9/23), ballots for 2019 Board Members will be mailed out, and/or posted on Web Site.

 

Uniforms –

          Board voted unanimously to allow BLACK coaches’ shorts and/or BLACK long softball or baseball pants for the 2019 season. The current gray coaches’ shorts, and gray long pants can still be worn for   the 2019 season.  Players have a choice of either/or. Other than the additional color, other “restrictions” still apply.(This will have to be updated in the 2019 SL Rules.)

         Possible changes in hats and/or shirts will be discussed at a later meeting.

         “Awards” – be it tee shirts, or whatever, were briefly discussed.  As of now only the Red Division (due to the number of teams) will only be giving out a regular season championship recognition only. Other divisions may give out regular season and playoff awards.

 

Fields – There was a Barberton power outage – not just the fields on Monday.  Chuck Lancaster worked with Barberton staff, but the second Red game had to be cancelled.

   Dave V contacted Barberton P & R about the possibility of a “charity game” for a player, using SL’s field permit.  This would be for some Sunday in August. They are to get back to him.

 

Umpiring

    Jim Ruby, Umpire-In- Chief was present and discussed “umpiring” with the Board.  He is aware of the number of occasions of inconsistent or poor umpiring.  The lack of available umpires makes it difficult for him to “crack down” on his umpires.  This is something that the Board will have to take on as a serious issue prior to the 2019 season. If there are “umpire issues”, that need to be addressed, they should be brought to Jim’s attention with as much detail as possible.  Certain umpires that were brought up with specific situations tonight will be critiqued by Jim.

 

SL Rules, By Laws, Procedures, Barberton Procedures, and SSUSA Rules

  There was considerable discussion that “some” (at times) Board Members, Reps, Managers, Umpires, and players are not familiar, or up to date, about the things that control our league.  It would be appreciated – and is expected –that persons in “authority” be more familiar with such goings on.  And that they “educate” those that they can.

 The related information of all of the above areas do not seem to be always communicated to the general membership. Even though all of this information is readily available to the general membership, there is a need for some “guidance” in these areas.

 

Next SL Board Meeting: Thursday, August 16, 2018, 6:30 PM, Manchester Rd., ACME

(As usual, anyone that wishes to discuss any SL related items can be put on the agenda by President Cuck Lancaster.)

June 26, 2018

Silver League Board Minutes – Tuesday, June 26, 2018

 

Board Members Present:  Chuck Lancaster, Randy Ballard, Dave Vanderneut, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford, and Jeff Sloan

Absent: Dick Kapper, Gary Beckman, Larry Chimento, and John Welsh. (PM At Large seat is vacant at this time)

Others Present:  Larry Deibel, Jeff Brenneman, Dave Hall, and Larry Ashbaugh.

 

Five of nine board members present represented a quorum.  But due to three Division reps, and one At-Large Reps being absent, several items that were to be voted on were only discussed, and tabled.

 

May 24, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes previously emailed out approved unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report- All 2018 bills have been paid with no outstanding debts that have been received.  There has been no need to take any funds from the “rainy day” fund.

   SL will be getting a payment from Thee Buckeye Tournament for AED rental.

   Tom K. will furnish a copy of the current budget to be put on the web site, for anyone with an interest in the 2018 budget.

 

2018-2019 (Season) Board Openings and Elections

     The following Board position need to have persons to fill the spots, for two year terms-

          Red Div. (Current Rep was an appointment by Board)

          Gold Div.

          PM At Large rep

          AM At Large Rep

          Vice President (For one year.  Candidates by Board Committee.  Current  By Laws, Section 3. The President, have some erroneous wording, that need to be changed to “past board members that have NOT served within the past three years”. This was passed unanimously, and will be placed on the Web Site.)

     Once candidates are established for positions, ballots will be printed up to be given out, and collected, by Division Reps.

 

Golf Outing (9/15), HOF Nominees (8/1, Form on Web Site)), and Annual Banquet (9/23) – Information on all will be placed on the Web Site.

 

Registration-

          Goal to have the form available at the annual banquet.  Then a printable copy on the web site.  No online registration is a possibility. Last “in person” registration could be

 

Sunday, February 24, 2018.  Last date for mail in registrations received could be February 28.

 

Uniforms –

          Discussion of “black shorts”.  Possible vote at next meeting as to the “ifs”, “hows” and “when” of black shorts and/or gray shorts.

         “New” Hats – Modeled by the always lovely Dave V.  Only 50 cents more than current hats.  Discussion tonight, with possible vote at next meeting. 

 

Fields – Dave V has been in touch with Barberton P & R staff to discuss some recent “situations”. They were to have an internal meeting late today to discuss these matters.

(2/27/18 – Dave V met with Barberton P & R staff this AM.  Chuck L. is to text Lisa McLean to give them a “turn on” time for the lights, starting 2/27/18.  They will advise their seasonal staff as to what time to turn the lights on each Monday and Wednesday nights.  Lisa will push the time up for each date based on the sunset time.  If overcast skies cause a need for any earlier turn on, Chuck will text Lisa from the fields for an earlier turn on.

     There will no longer be any “2nd preps” for the PM divisions as of today. It was rarely being done, was not that much of an improvement, and will save time [if done], and money for SL.

     No “permanent” repairs can be done this year for the “dug holes” in the batters’ boxes. Barberton will try to do some “patch work” on them.  But a permanent fix might be negotiated prior to 2019 season.[Players should still be encouraged “not to dig in”, as they have been asked in the past.]

     Burned out lights, and pitcher’s runner on #1, are listed to be fixed/repaired.)

 

Pitcher’s Screen –

     Lengthy discussion about the screens as to current location, change of location, revert to old location, “fast” pitches”, changes in “penalties” (“ball”, not “ejection”), pitchers not behind screen, safety issues, other senior leagues handling, and why, and   - what appeared to be the main point of contention, and confusion – a lack of consistency when making, and not making calls based on SL rules, by SL umpires.  

     The Pitcher’s Screen will be readdressed at the next board meeting.

 

“Inconsistent” Umpiring

    Jim Ruby, Umpire-In- Chief will be given a copy of the approved minutes to show the Board’s concern with the noted problems in several areas.

 

Next SL Board Meeting: Tuesday, July 17, 6:30 PM, Manchester Rd., ACME