General Meeting Minutes

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Silver League General Membership Meeting – Sunday, February 23, 2020

Board Members Present:   Sam Galluch (VP – Acting Pres.), Larry Chimento, Dave Vanderneut, Jerome Bloodworth, Al Barracato, Dennis Mathieu, John Welsh, Greg Gonzalez, Roger Mears  

 

Board Members Absent: Jeff Brenneman, Randy Ballard

 

General Membership:  Approximately 40 players

 

Additional registrations taken by Tom K before and after meeting

 

Board members introduction.                  

 

Subjects discussed, with questions allowed from the floor.

 

Uniforms

 Hats – Acceptable official SL hat for 2020 defined and shown.

 Pants - Same as 2019, with color emphasized.  Dave V. has some “coach’s shorts" at $20.00 a pair for Elite.

 Shirts – basically the same, but slightly better quality at same price as there is a vendor “trying to get in the door” at Elite.

  No names on jerseys if ordered after registration deadline. (Post marked February 26)

 

Rules –

  Tom K chaired a Rules Committee made up of umpires, players, and board members.  Their input was then presented to the Board for discussion and possible approval.

   Main rules discussed were “1 &1 count”, “”deadline time for asking for Subs”, “extra inning count (3-2)”, “No game cancellations due to any tournament”, “ flipping”, “time limits”, “over running 2b or 3B”, and “illegal pitches that can lead to a pitcher being removed as a pitcher”.

 

Registration and Sponsors

  Chuck Lancaster advised we currently have 17 committed sponsors.

  Registration is down at this time.  It was explained that the board does not know exactly what may have to be done if the numbers force any revisions in divisions, teams, days or times. (This question was ask from the floor about 5-6 different ways, with the same answer from the board members.)

 

Rainouts

  Since there will be no rain out number, Roger Mears explained what players have to do to get a text or email about cancellations. And how managers will have to call players with no access to tex

  Make up will be the Friday of the following week (accept July 3) for all divisions.

 

General

Sam G asked members that have any questions or want to help “rumor control” to contact their division rep or other board members to find out any correct information.

 

Next Board Meeting, Wednesday, March 4, at Manchester Road ACME

February 17, 2019

Silver League General Membership Meeting – Sunday, February 17, 2019

Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford, Sam Galluch, Larry Chimento,  Dave Vanderneut, Jeff Brenneman, and John Welsh

Board Members Absent: Dick Kapper, Dennis Mathieu

Web Master Present - Roger Mears

 

Board members introduction.                  

 

By Law Changes for 2019 – None

 

Treasurer’s Report -

    Tom K. advised the current checking account balance. Still can use more sponsors. Only 18 to date.  Needed 31 last year. 25% of incoming funds are from sponsors.

 

Randy B., SL President’s Comments-

   SL finished with a positive income of $4,000.00 for 2018.  $3,000.00 of that has been put towards the ‘rainy day” fund.  Tom K will be looking for some sort of interest bearing account to place that money ($25,000.00).

    Randy pointed out that that for players should wear assigned uniforms out of respect to sponsors that pay $400.00 to be a sponsor.(Also in SL Rules.)

   Registrations are lagging behind last year in all divisions.  Divisions Reps, Board members, and all players are encouraged to get “missing” players from 2018, and new players, to register.  It may be necessary to adjust the divisions if hoped for numbers are not reached by the time normal registration is closed.

 

Banquet –   It will be at Guy’s Party Center, September 29, 2019.  It has been pushed back to eliminate the conflict with tournaments that occurred last year. This will also simplify the printing of directories/programs, and championship shirts.

 

Hall Of Fame- Nomination should be in by August 1, 2019.  The form is on the web site. Jeff B. is chairing the HOF committee, and has forms available.  He is in need of committee members.   

  

Web Site-

 Roger M. discussed how alerts can be set up thru the web site.  This can be broken down by divisions, if players only want info related to their division.  If you have problems contact Roger.  Emailing back to a SL mass email goes to Roger.  If you have a specific problem for your Division Rep., you will find their contact info on the web site

 

 

RULES –

  No significant rule changes for 2019.  Tom K chaired the Rules Committee made up of players from all divisions.  Their input was then presented to the Board for discussion and votes.

  Tom K. is the new Head Umpire for 2019. He will, as has been attempted in the past – to get more consistency from the assigned umpires.  “Problems” should be brought to his and/or the division reps’ attention.

  Randy B. brought up some specific “situations” or “problems” that seem to be around consistently. They involved obstruction play, avoiding collisions, retaliation, over throw awards, commitment line, over running bases, etc.

  The new umpire cards for 2019 will have info placed on them after games to allow game length to be studied.  This will be the basis if any changes are needed to speed up games in all divisions in 2020.

  All divisions are working on ways to make up games lost to various reasons.  There is NO guarantee that 24 games will be played.  (There never was.)  “Other days” – not weekends – may have to be used to get games made up. Players will know that prior to the start of the season. It will be their responsibility to realize they may have to play other days or nights.

  Pitching screens in the Silver Division will be located the same as the other four divisions

 

Division Drafts-

 There were requested exceptions brought to the board involving situations that could affect what division a player would be in. All such “exceptions” are decided by a Board vote.  The players asking exception are advised of the Board’s decision.

   

 There were lengthy discussions today about certain draft procedures that “evolved” in some divisions that go against the basic concept of a new, not preset- draft each year. (The Board spend considerable time discussing this at their last meeting) The areas of concern involved player-managers, player-sponsors, players and managers “connected” to certain sponsors, and playing assistant managers/coaches (Not non-playing assistants).

  NO player, other than the player-manager can be “frozen, or pre-assigned, to ANY team prior to the draft.

Sponsors can be assigned to managers as late as after the draft. A player-sponsor will have to be drafted as part of the normal draft.  Prior to the draft a “gentleman’s agreement” may allow other managers to NOT draft that sponsor-player. But they                                

should still be drafted in an appropriate round based on their rating. (A three inning catcher cannot be a 2nd round pick)

“Bloodlines” are also covered by the “playing-sponsors” guidelines.

In addition to a possible “gentleman’s agreement”, manager may make trades at the end of the draft.

 

    All divisions should have a pre-draft meeting with their Rep to discuss the ratings of players in the forthcoming draft.  ALL players will be rated to be in the draft. Managers should be aware of individual players’ rating in each of the categories.

 

Uniforms

  To expedite the jersey order, all names on jerseys will be done in white lettering. This will allow the name order to be placed as soon as final registration is complete, and before the actual drafts.  This will eliminate some colors for jerseys – white, light yellow, etc. – but not affect the colors of the numbers or logos on the front. (The names on jerseys are being paid for by an anonymous benefactor)

 

 

DV 2/17/19

General Meeting Minutes

February 17, 2019

 

             Silver League General Membership Meeting – Sunday, February 17, 2019

 

Board Members Present:  Randy Ballard, Chuck Lancaster, Tom Koch, Mike Crawford, Sam Galluch, Larry Chimento,  Dave Vanderneut, Jeff Brenneman, Dennis Mathieu , and John Welsh (Arrived Late)

 

Board Members Absent: Dick Kapper, Dennis Mathieu

 

Web Master Present - Roger Mears 

Board members introduction.                  

 

By Law Changes for 2019 – None

 

 

 

Treasurer’s Report -

 

    Tom K. advised the current checking account balance. Still can use more sponsors. Only 18 to date.  Needed 31 last year. 25% of incoming funds are from sponsors.

 

 

 

Randy B., SL President’s Comments-

 

   SL finished with a positive income of $4,000.00 for 2018.  $3,000.00 of that has been put towards the ‘rainy day” fund.  Tom K will be looking for some sort of interest bearing account to place that money ($25,000.00).

 

    Randy pointed out that that for players should wear assigned uniforms out of respect to sponsors that pay $400.00 to be a sponsor.(Also in SL Rules.)

 

   Registrations are lagging behind last year in all divisions.  Divisions Reps, Board members, and all players are encouraged to get “missing” players from 2018, and new players, to register.  It may be necessary to adjust the divisions if hoped for numbers are not reached by the time normal registration is closed.

 

 

 

Banquet –   It will be at Guy’s Party Center, September 29, 2019.  It has been pushed back to eliminate the conflict with tournaments that occurred last year. This will also simplify the printing of directories/programs, and championship shirts.

 

 

 

Hall Of Fame- Nomination should be in by August 1, 2019.  The form is on the web site. Jeff B. is chairing the HOF committee, and has forms available.  He is in need of committee members.   

 

 

 

Web Site-

 

 Roger M. discussed how alerts can be set up thru the web site.  This can be broken down by divisions, if players only want info related to their division.  If you have problems contact Roger.  Emailing back to a SL mass email goes to Roger.  If you have a specific problem for your Division Rep., you will find their contact info on the web site.

 

 

 

 

RULES –

 

  No significant rule changes for 2019.  Tom K chaired the Rules Committee made up of players from all divisions.  Their input was then presented to the Board for discussion and votes.

 

  Tom K. is the new Head Umpire for 2019. He will, as has been attempted in the past – to get more consistency from the assigned umpires.  “Problems” should be brought to his and/or the division reps’ attention.

 

  Randy B. brought up some specific “situations” or “problems” that seem to be around consistently. They involved obstruction play, avoiding collisions, retaliation, over throw awards, commitment line, over running bases, etc.

 

  The new umpire cards for 2019 will have info placed on them after games to allow game length to be studied.  This will be the basis if any changes are needed to speed up games in all divisions in 2020.

 

  All divisions are working on ways to make up games lost to various reasons.  There is NO guarantee that 24 games will be played.  (There never was.)  “Other days” – not weekends – may have to be used to get games made up. Players will know that prior to the start of the season. It will be their responsibility to realize they may have to play other days or nights.

 

  Pitching screens in the Silver Division will be located the same as the other four divisions

 

 

 

Division Drafts-

 

 There were requested exceptions brought to the board involving situations that could affect what division a player would be in. All such “exceptions” are decided by a Board vote.  The players asking exception are advised of the Board’s decision.

 

   

 

 There were lengthy discussions today about certain draft procedures that “evolved” in some divisions that go against the basic concept of a new, not preset- draft each year. (The Board spend considerable time discussing this at their last meeting) The areas of concern involved player-managers, player-sponsors, players and managers “connected” to certain sponsors, and playing assistant managers/coaches (Not non-playing assistants).

 

  NO player, other than the player-manager can be “frozen, or pre-assigned, to ANY team prior to the draft.

 

Sponsors can be assigned to managers as late as after the draft. A player-sponsor will have to be drafted as part of the normal draft.  Prior to the draft a “gentleman’s agreement” may allow other managers to NOT draft that sponsor-player. But they should still be drafted in an appropriate round based on their rating. (A three inning catcher cannot be a 2nd round pick)

 

“Bloodlines” are also covered by the “playing-sponsors” guidelines.

 

In addition to a possible “gentleman’s agreement”, manager may make trades at the end of the draft.

 

 

 

    All divisions should have a pre-draft meeting with their Rep to discuss the ratings of players in the forthcoming draft.  ALL players will be rated to be in the draft. Managers should be aware of individual players’ rating in each of the categories.

 

 

 

Uniforms

 

  To expedite the jersey order, all names on jerseys will be done in white lettering. This will allow the name order to be placed as soon as final registration is complete, and before the actual drafts.  This will eliminate some colors for jerseys – white, light yellow, etc. – but not affect the colors of the numbers or logos on the front. (The names on jerseys are being paid for by an anonymous benefactor)

 

 

 

 

 

DV 2/17/19